Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Kohlrabi recipe


Kohlrabi is a vegetable that I had not heard of until a few years ago.  

While at a farmer's market, one of our friend's young son was selling kohlrabi.  His sweet face while helping his dad with the produce sold me and I bought some.

Now, this is my second year growing kohlrabi in my garden.




I plant small plants, cover their surroundings with straw and wait.

It doesn't take long.


The base of the stems grows a 'bulb like'.  It is displayed above the ground.


Once this happens, you can harvest.


Sauteed kohlrabi with onions and cream is my favorite way to eat it and it is super easy to prepare.  Here is the recipe:


I like to cook the kohlrabi until it has a little brownish coloring.

Sauteed Kohlrabi with Onions and Cream

Ingredients:
3 kohlrabi bulbs
1 onion, diced
2 tbsp. butter 
some heavy cream (approximately 1/4 cup)
salt and pepper

Directions:
Cut the kohlrabi from the stem and leaves
Peel and dice the kohlrabi
Peel and dice an onion
Cook the diced kohlrabi and the diced onion in 2 tbsp. butter until almost tender (approximately 5 minutes).  Stir along the way.
Stir in a splash of heavy cream
Heat through
Salt and pepper to taste


Although the leaves are edible, I have not tried them.  In this Martha Stewart recipe, she uses the leaves.  

10 comments:

  1. How delicious this looks, LL! I've had Bok Choy before, but not Kohlrabi! Something new to try! The plants you grew look so beautiful and interesting! Thank you for sharing! Have a terrific week!
    ~CB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If eaten raw, they have a similar taste to a turnip. I hope you give it a try!

      Delete
  2. that is new to me...I've never seen or tasted Kohlrabi before. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is something different, but good.

      Delete
  3. I wondered what to do with that! Just kidding, we finally put it in a Chinese stir fry as a water chess nut, kind of crisp tender. Your dish sounds much better though. Although for us in Texas kohlrabi is a distant memory.
    This is the time when we hunker down in the air conditioning and plan/dream about the fall garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using it in stir fry sounds yummy Anne-Marie! Did you grow kohlrabi? aaahh...fall gardening...more lettuce and kale.

      Delete
  4. I have heard of it, but never even knew how you prepared it. This sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is yummy...I hope you get a chance to try it Jann.

      Delete
  5. We grow the purple variety. I wonder if it tastes different than the white?
    Thanks for joining us at The Maple Hill Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there was a purple variety Daisy...

      Delete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...