Thursday, September 11, 2014

How To Freeze Peppers and A Recipe

I use peppers (especially green) a lot in cooking.  I use them all year long to flavor soups, casseroles, eggs, etc.  Having them readily available in my freezer is a must!


This is how I freeze peppers:

Cut the tops off and remove the seeds.  (Great to feed the chickens.)



Dice the peppers.



Put wax paper onto a cookie sheet.
Lay the diced peppers in a single layer on wax paper.
Freeze for at least one hour.



Using a spatula, remove the peppers and store in the freezer, in a freezer bag.


As you need peppers to cook or season with, you can remove as little or as many as you want. Because you freezer them in a single layer before storing them in the bag, they are easy to remove.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I love stuffed green peppers, but my girls do not.  I cleverly came up with this recipe and my girls love it.  I guess it's just the texture of the whole pepper that they don't like????  (Sometimes I still stuff a couple whole peppers and bake right in the same casserole dish with the un-stuffed green peppers.)


Un-stuffed Green Pepper recipe:
Pre heat oven to 350 degrees
1 pound ground beef
1 onion
salt and pepper
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups instant rice, cooked according to package directions
2 green peppers, diced
8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Cook ground beef, salt, pepper and onion until meat is browned.

In a large mixing bowl, combine tomatoes, cooked rice, and green peppers.  (I like the bite of the pepper this way, but if you want, you can cook it with the ground beef and onion.)  Then add the meat and onion mixture and stir all together.

Spread into a 9x13 baking dish and put shredded cheese on top.
{At this point you can also stuff a couple peppers that you have taken the tops off and removed the seeds.}   Even more delicious with the diced peppers inside the whole pepper :-)

Bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. The recipes sounds wonderful...I freeze my all my veggie and fruit whole. So they won't loose their nutrient value.
    For a quick toss in this is great way to freeze. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great way to freeze peppers because this is exactly how I freeze mine! They are so handy in the winter for soups and pizzas!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...