Tuesday, November 25, 2014

DIY Burlap Wreath

I will start by saying that I am probably one of the last people to make a burlap wreath.  I researched how to make one, and boy there are a lot of different ways!  I like to make my DIY projects as easy as possible and because I am cheap frugal, I don't like to waste a lot of material.  With that being said, I started this project over a few times, hoping to use only one roll of burlap, but in the end I used a tad bit more than one roll to get the look that I wanted.  

After getting into the groove of this method, it is easy to make.  This tutorial is going to have a lot of pictures, which I hope makes it easy to understand.  


What you will need:

metal wreath form (I used 16 inch)
1 - 2 packages (15 yards each) of 4 inch wide burlap
scissors



Fold one end of the burlap in half.



Then fold it in half again.
(I only did this at the beginning - it makes getting started easier.)



To start, go under the outer opening, up through the middle opening, then down through the top opening.  Leave a little tail to tuck and hide at the end.



First step is from the bottom, pull up some burlap through the inner opening.



Second step is from the bottom, pull up some burlap through the middle opening.
Do this while holding the first one in place.



Third step is from the bottom, pull up more burlap through the outer opening, keeping the other loops in place.  All three loops should be about the same size (2 - 3 inches tall).



On the back of the wreath, twist the burlap.



Now do the same thing, except start pulling up some burlap through the outer opening, then middle opening, then inner opening.



Scrunch the loops by pushing them together (for a fuller look).



Twist again.



Continue along using the PULL, SCRUNCH, TWIST method, alternating where you start looping (outer or inner opening).



When you are at the end of one roll, leave a tail (will tuck and hide later).
Start a new roll just like when you began making the wreath, leaving a tail.
Continue doing the PULL, SCRUNCH, TWIST.



Cut off left over burlap when finished, leaving a tail.



At this point go back and tuck in all the tails and trim any stray burlap.



I love how this looks on its own, but have some great ideas for embellishments.  
I will share some Christmas ideas next week.




4 comments:

  1. I love how your wreath turned out! Burlap is lots of fun, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it for Christmas!
    Thank you for sharing at Wake Up Wednesday! Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. I am looking forward to doing all kinds of neat things with the burlap wreath. Thanks for hosting Wake Up Wednesday!

      Delete
  2. I L.O.V.E. this wreath..thanks so much for showing us how to do it. I don't have a crafty bone in my body but my hubby sure does...." O, Mr. Sweet....where are you....I have a craft for you ...." hahhaa...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope Mr. Sweet makes one for you...then you can decorate it all kinds of ways ;-)

      Delete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...