Wednesday, December 14, 2016

A Home Grown Turkey For Christmas


Community Chickens recently ran my article again about our journey of raising a turkey for Christmas dinner.  A journey indeed...I thought I would share it here too.

It's hard to believe that it's been one year since we finished that long (and exhausting) journey...


My nostalgic reasoning of wanting to raise turkeys.


The excitement of Handy Hubby not being the only boy on the farm anymore. ;-)

The death of our pre-ordered turkeys.


The drive to get the last two turkeys available.

(I may have had a little fun photographing them when they were little.)


The DIY coop and fencing.

The expensive cost of feeding them.

Mrs. Turkey died.

Mr. Turkey went crazy.


A unique friend that helped Mr. Turkey.
They met by the fence many times to talk.

My fear of Mr. Turkey.

The processing.


The 26 pound turkey that was Christmas 2015 dinner.

For my faithful and new readers, click HERE if you want to read all about it.

And, for the record...the coop and fenced area remain empty one year later...
We really need to put something in there...
...maybe meat chickens next year.?.?.?

1 comment:

  1. What a journey! I felt sorry for him losing Mrs. Turkey. Wow I bet he was something to look at 26 pounds is big! I loved reading about him. Great story!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...