Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Country Garden


Our little country garden received a face lift this year.


We added raised beds and gravel pathways.

I'm working on an article with details, but I wanted to give you a little peek at how well it is working out.




The tomatoes are growing up cattle panels.


The first couple of ripe ones may not have made it into the house.
Instead, they went straight into my mouth.  ;-)


I have some new farm helpers this summer.  I've caught them napping on the job a few times...good thing they are adorable!


The kohlrabi has already been harvested.


Strawberry plants were planted, and I am so looking forward to next year's harvest.


Radishes were a first for me this year.


As were sugar snap peas. 
We have been eating them plain and sauteed in olive oil with some s&p.


If you are thinking about raised beds, I say go for it!

12 comments:

  1. Your garden is so lovely. The design is well planned and I love the gravel paths. Best of all, is the yummy vegies you are growing. Pat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat! The design is pretty and functional. The weeds are not winning this year, and the fruits and veggies are thriving.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is one gorgeous piece of dirt! I love the organized beds and gravel is one of my favorite ground covers. Can't wait to hear more about what you are growing. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daisy! It was a lot of work, but the work and the investment are already paying off! I'm enjoying my time in the garden more because the weeds are not winning. And, the plants are healthier contained in the beds, because we are not disturbing the roots by walking near them.

      Delete
  3. Such a pretty garden. I just love that picket fence. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vickie! I think the picket fence is a bit nostalgic looking ;-)

      Delete
  4. Lori, I would love to have a garden like yours. Raise beds would be wonderful, and so much easier to care for.
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful garden with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Teresa. The raised beds are easier. There are still weeds that pop up, but nothing like I used to get with traditional gardening. And, I must admit, I am more motivated to keep this looking good. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This is a gorgeous looking garden, and your produce/harvest has been amazing already! Your picket fence is adorable! I just love it all. How will you keep weeds from growing in your gravel? I'm just curious because I know reality sets in after a while. I have a garden area that is grassy now, and I am considering all options , with gravel or stone/rocks being one of them :) What an awesome job you have done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn. We put landscape fabric down first, then the raised beds and gravel. Inevitably, weeds still pop through, but nothing like I experienced before raised beds...it was so frustrating. The gravel pathways also make it easier to meander through the garden in any weather, and is safer for the plant's roots. I think you'll like it if you decide to give it a try.

      Delete
  7. This garden is so pretty.. Love the white fence around it. Happy Gardening.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...