Monday, October 20, 2014

Alpaca adopts kitten

 

Yes, you read that correctly...alpaca adopts kitten.

We noticed that our barn cat, Ocean, was getting chubby.  We thought she was too young to be pregnant, but when she began to 'waddle', we knew.  I made up a cozy spot in the barn for her.  One morning, as I was doing the feedings, I heard her.  She obviously was a nervous first time mom, because right there on the 4-wheeler seat (not the cozy spot I made) she was delivering her newborn kitten.  My daughter named the kitten Marina.  Ocean was a good Momma to Marina, taking very good care of her newborn.  As Marina grew, they even started to play together.

Then things changed.  Ocean started growling and hissing at Marina.  Yep, you guessed it - pregnant again!  (As cute as kittens are, Ocean will be having surgery.)  Marina was confused, sad, heartbroken.  It was at that time when another budding relationship started.

Imagine, if you will, a tall creature, with long legs and a very long neck.  Her name is Cashmere (a cream colored alpaca).  One day, Marina stopped to talk to her outside the barn.  "Excuse me" Marina said, "can I talk to you for a minute?  I am really confused right now.  I have been watching you from afar and you seem really nice.  Can you please help me?"  Marina went on to tell Cashmere her story...

Cashmere, being the gentle giant that she is, bent down to comfort Marina with a hug.  Cashmere said to the little kitten "I will take care of you and protect you.  I WILL adopt you!"  The bond between these two since that first talk has been amazing.  It has been a blessing to watch.


Cashmere seems to be 'teaching' Marina something here.



They take walks together.  Sometimes they pause at the water bucket and observe the world around them.  These are life lessons that Cashmere is teaching Marina.



They share secrets.  We hear Marina purring contentment and Cashmere replying "hhmm" (that is how alpacas talk).



Sometimes Cashmere even shares her alpaca food with Marina, even though her cat food is inside the barn.



Kissing each other, they say "good night, sleep tight, I love you".   

13 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! This is so freakin adorable! Cashmere is gorgeous, and so sweet! You caught some wonderfully precious moments too.

    This was a great way for me to start my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is adorable! Also the other one above listed! Have you thought about submitting this to the TV show, on Animal Planet called: "Unlikely Animal Friends"? You just may earn some money for letting them do a story on both sets of "Unlikely Animal Friends"???

      Delete
  2. Glad you enjoyed. I love to sit on the porch and watch them ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw that is so sweet...Amazing story. Nothing like sitting on the front porch, my favorite place to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've recently heard it called "porching" ...family time/visits on the porch...how appropriate. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Too funny that is a perfect name for it.

      Delete
  4. That is the sweetest thing. I wish I could give them both a hug. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Deena. Marina will let you hug her, but probably not Cashmere...maybe a little pet ;-)

      Delete
  5. I am a city girl so this story is so sweet. Did the mother get close again with the kitten?
    Pepermintpatty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, sadly the mother cat is still not lovey. But the good news is that the alpaca and kitten still have a bond. It is heartwarming.
      Lori

      Delete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...