Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Baked Kale Chips



Years ago, kale was known as the curly bright green vegetable that was a garnish for foods and restaurant salad bars.  It is now known as a powerhouse food - full of vitamins!

So many people have told me that they have never eaten kale or if they have that they don't like the bitter raw taste.  I agree that when eaten raw it does have a bitter taste, but when mixed with other garden greens it makes a fabulous tasting salad.

Today I want to share with you a super easy and very delicious way to eat kale.

Kale is something that I always grow in my garden.  You can plant seeds or plants.


This is kale in my garden three weeks after planting the tiny seeds.

When I don't have kale from my garden, I buy it at the grocery store.  You can purchase kale for less than a dollar in the produce section.  They also offer it bagged, rinsed and cut up for a little bit more money.


How to make KALE CHIPS:
rinse the kale
lay flat to dry or use a salad spinner to remove excess water
remove the stems, leaving mostly leaves 


in a larger bowl, add a little olive oil
then add kale and more olive oil
mix with your hands, making sure all the kale gets some olive oil


spread onto a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil (makes for easy clean up)
sprinkle with salt and pepper
bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 - 8 minutes, checking on it near the end


You want it crispy, but not burned.


Also, keep in mind that kale does 'shrink' when cooked.


If you are craving something salty, these are a great healthy alternative to potato chips.
Even Handy Hubby likes kale chips.  Now mind you, he doesn't crave them like I do, but he does like them.

I also substitute kale many times in recipes that call for spinach.
Check out this recipe for Chicken Florentine Pasta with Kale.


Do you have a favorite way to eat kale?

Until next time,
- Lori
  

3 comments:

  1. Thank you LL, for sharing! While the kids have been on vacation, I'm looking for healthier snacks for us, instead of potato chips. I like to sauté kale with my eggs in the morning, I like it better than spinach. Going to try this!
    ~CB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dino kale in my daily salad. SO good, and not at all bitter. Oooh, I like the idea that Christine has of adding it to scrambled eggs. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for linking up with green Thumb Thursday last week! I wanted to let you know that this has been chose as the featured post this week! Head over and grab a featured badge for your blog! (sorry I'm a little late commenting...hectic, issue filed week!)

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...