Friday, September 18, 2015

How To Make A Bandanna Pumpkin


Last year, when I was a new blogger I shared how to make bandanna pumpkins.

Since I have gained many awesome readers and followers in this past year, I thought you might enjoy this post pulled from my archive.

Bandanna Pumpkins


Do you have some bandannas stuffed in a drawer somewhere?  If not, don't worry...I picked some up at Hobby Lobby for 99 cents each.  I was surprised at all the different styles and colors available in bandannas.  I decided to stick to the traditional bandanna pattern and chose two shades of blue for my pumpkins.  I did my fall fireplace mantel this year in blue and cream (you can see that post here), and wanted to stick to that color scheme.


Bandanna pumpkins with a cinnamon stick stem.


This project is easy, only a few items are needed (most you may already have on hand if you craft).

Here is what you will need:
  • foam pumpkin (I used a 9 inch tall, 24 inch round)
  • bandanna
  • glue gun
  • jute twine
  • burlap 
  • mod podge
  • foam brush
  • cinnamon stick


Start by cutting a hole in the top of the pumpkin.  This will be where you tuck the extra bandanna in.



Tuck each corner into the hole, adding dots of hot glue between (for extra hold).



When you have only one corner left, fold the sides in before you tuck it into the hole.  It's like wrapping a package.  Thank goodness a pumpkin doesn't need to look perfect, because I can't even wrap a square package perfectly ;-)



Cut 5 - 6 pieces of jute twine slightly larger than the pumpkin.  Starting at the bottom center wrap the twine up and tie a knot on the top.  



Cut off the extra twine (above each knot).



Cut 2 - 3 leaves from burlap.  Put mod podge around all the edges to prevent more fraying.  Let dry.



Hot glue the tips of the leaves on top of the twine.  Put a dab of hot glue in the middle and press down a cinnamon stick, trying to push everything down into the hole one last time.



Fun...Easy...No Sew...BANDANNA PUMPKINS

Sharing at:

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect project for me, easy and no sew! Love the idea of using a cinnamon stick for the stem! They look amazing, LL! I'm glad you pulled the post and shared it with us! Have a great weekend! ~CB

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is adorable! And it will last a lot longer than a real pumpkin! ;0D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you shared the tutorial on how you made this.... it was one of my favorites from the Tour of Homes.... LOVE IT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, seriously these are so cute! I can't believe you added the cinnamon stick as the stem. That is so clever! Love love love these and bonus - no sew. I can't wait to make my own. Pinning! Hugs, Coco

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a pumpkin lover and I love this idea, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...