Monday, October 31, 2016

Egg In A Hole

egg-in-a-hole
Many times it is the simplest things that taste the best.
Take eggs and toast for example.
Easy enough to make for one or for a crowd.
Ingredients you most likely have on hand.
Eggs and toast - the perfect breakfast, or lunch, or supper.

It starts with bread.
White
Wheat
Rye
Use what you like best.
cut-hole-in-bread
Begin by cutting (or tearing) a hole, approximately 2 inches, in the middle of a piece of bread.
(You could get creative here and use a seasonal cookie cutter.)
melt-1-tbsp-butter-in-pan
Over medium-high heat, melt one tablespoon butter into a non stick frying pan.
crack-egg-into-hole
Place the bread into the pan.  Crack an egg into the hole.  Season with salt and pepper.
ready-to-flip-when-bottom-turns-white
Cook until the bottom of the egg starts to turn white ( a minute or so).
egg-in-a-hole-flipped-over-in-pan
Flip and cook for a few seconds to a minute longer.
Remember to fry the 'hole' that you cut out also.
egg-in-a-hole-over-easy
I like my eggs over easy, but if you want a more firm yellow, just cook a little longer.
Now, let's talk name...
This simple little concoction has many names:
egg in a hole
egg in a nest
egg in a basket
bird's nest egg
egg hole
cowboy egg
frog in a hole
and many more.
I guess it doesn't matter what you call it as long as you try it!

This post has also been shared at Community Chickens.

7 comments:

  1. I love these!!!but had forgotten about them. I'm gonna go make one now! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just love how you can make these at the spur of the moment Vikki? This was my lunch today ;-)

      Delete
  2. That looks so tasty!! Sometimes it's truly just the most simple foods that are the most delicious and fulfilling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't tear a hole, use a glass or wide mouth canning jar to make the hole!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, the fact that I have free ranging chickens speaks loud here as to what your title meant to me... when you said "egg in a hole" I really thought you were dealing with a problem that I am having... my dear hens who like to lay eggs outside in whatever hole they can find... lol! Well, I love your egg in a hole a whole lot better than looking for eggs hidden in a hole outside :) YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny! Our 'eggs in a hole' definitely have different meanings here. Hope you find lots today ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...