Thursday, May 19, 2016

Rhubarb Apple Crisp


It is rhubarb season!

To many that means making something with rhubarb and strawberries...

Me?  I don't like that combination.
I like rhubarb...
I like strawberries...
but not together.

I love rhubarb - simply peeled and with salt sprinkled on.

Now don't curl your nose up...try it...you just may like it...
and if you don't at least you tried it ;-)
(that's what I always tell my girls (and hubby) when trying something new)

It is deliciously sour!  Well...It is delicious to me (and my Dad), but no one else in my family likes it that way, so I created a way to sneak it in on them...



Rhubarb Apple Crisp


The first time I made this I passed off the green ones and the slightly sour ones as just a different kind of apple.  (giggle giggle)  

Full disclosure:  I did tell them after they ate!


Adding sugar to the apples and rhubarb helps to sweeten it up.


The topping has brown sugar, oats, flour, spices, and butter.


Yum - a - licious!


Rhubarb Apple Crisp

5 apples, peeled and sliced
3 stalks rhubarb, peeled and diced
4 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon each:  cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger
1/4 cup butter

Combine the apples, rhubarb, and sugar into a 8x8 baking dish.

In a mixing bowl combine the oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
Cut in the butter until mixture becomes crumbly.
Sprinkle topping over mixture.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 - 35 minutes.
Fruit should be tender and topping browned.

This delicious stuff is best served warm. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word, this looks amazing! Thanks for sharing. I found your blog through the Our Simple Homestead blog hop :)

    Blessings,
    Edye | Http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...