Thursday, January 29, 2015

Framed Valentine Art Made From A Box Of Tissues


I don't usually decorate for Valentine's Day.  To celebrate the day, I create little cards to put in hubby's and the girl's lunchboxes.  The girls get a bit embarrassed as they are getting older, but that's ok, I'm their Momma ;-)  Other than that, it's just not something that I have a tub of decorations for, or really any decorations for.

So why did I decide to create a little Valentine decor this year?  Well, it all started when I was grocery shopping the other day...

It's that time of year, when we seem to go through a lot of tissues.  This is one of those items that I buy off-brand.  So, as I was grocery shopping, I thought I would go ahead and pick up some.  I have never tried this brand of tissues, but my eyes lit up when I saw this particular box.


It has snowmen (I have a collection of snowmen scattered here and there throughout the house in the winter months).  It has hearts (hello Valentine).  The colors blue and brown are perfect to match my living room decor, and it seems to already be in a 'frame'.

Yes, I was buying a necessity, but my brain was whirling ;-)  I envisioned framing that cute little scene and making a little vignette.  Once I snapped back into reality, I finished my grocery shopping.

I like to re-purpose things out of every day items for a few reasons:

* It is a way of re-cycling or re-purposing something that would normally be thrown in the trash after its original use.

* It is usually a quick, easy, and inexpensive craft.

* It's a way to express creativity.

* It is a one-of-a-kind creation.


I have a stack of frames in the basement that I bought at a yard sale for a couple dollars.  I chose a larger frame because the 'picture' itself is small.  I had the idea in my heady (scary, I know) to make the small picture pop, by adding a colored mat.   

I painted the frame with some white paint that I already had.  


I cut the 'pictures' from the tissue box.  Look how cute they are...they are holding hands.  I wonder what they are saying to each other?


I used the picture/mat that was already in the old frame as a guide to trace on my piece of scrapbook paper.  You could also use the glass insert.  Using either one will give you the correct measurement for the mat.  To give it a little pizazz, I chose a reddish color scrapbook paper (from my stash) to create the mat.  The color of the paper makes the red in the picture 'pop' out.


This scrapbook paper cutter is one of the best purchases I have made.  Without it, I cannot cut a straight line, even when it is drawn for me.


I ended up cutting the blue outline with snowflakes that was on the top and bottom.  It just didn't look right, without being on all sides.


I centered the picture on the paper, gluing it down with regular ole school glue.


For the vignette, I added a snowman with a burgundy jacket.  The color ties in with the hearts, hats, and scarf on the snow people.  It also blends in with the mat color.  The snow covered candle holder is re-purposed from a jar of peaches.  Click here to see that easy project!


Voila!  I have created a little Valentine vignette with a box of tissues and a jar of peaches.  Uuhh, I mean a beautiful piece of framed art and a winter candle holder ;-)




10 comments:

  1. Well that was awfully creative an frugal of you, don't know if I would of thought of it! It created a very cute vignette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. Valentine's Day is one of those holidays I just don't usually decorate for. Seems like I go from Christmas to snowmen, that get me through until Easter and Spring.

      Delete
  2. lovely! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop.xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute, and perfect for Valentine's Day. Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Babs! A little Valentine decor that didn't cost much, and the stuff can be re-used...

      Delete
  4. That is just adorable -- and very, very clever! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a cute image and great idea to repurpose it into Valentines décor! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jann. Who would have thought...cute little scenes on tissue boxes ;-)

      Delete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...