Sunday, January 25, 2015

Yummy Pan Gravy

 

I must confess!  I LOVE pan gravy.  

Some people crave chocolate or caffeine, I crave pan gravy!

I love this stuff sooooooo much that I don't can't make it very often because, well.... I can't stop eating it, like I mean I eat it till it's gone or my stomach hurts so bad that I literaly can't eat any more.  I do make side dishes (like meat and potatoes) to put the gravy on, but, it is so good that I have been known to eat it plain...out of the gravy bowl, on a spoon, on my finger...

  Don't judge a woman in love until you try it ;-)



My favorite meat to use for pan gravy drippings is cubed steak.  We are blessed to fill our freezer every year with family raised beef....nothin' like it!  Look at the intense color of that meat.  The crevices are made by running it through a cubing machine.  Those crevices help lock in such flavor.  

Put some flour, salt and pepper in a dish.  Cover the steak all over with the flour mixture.  Fry it in a skillet with some vegetable oil (3 or 4 tablespoons).  Cook on each side 4-6 minutes.  I cook mine till it's a little crispy because it tastes so good with the pan gray, and it leaves good bits in the pan to make the gravy.  Once the meat is cooked, remove it from the skillet.



You will be left with this glorious stuff.  Oh what I am going to turn you into...



Add 3 - 4 tablespoons of flour and stir around with the pan drippings in the bottom of the pan, making a roux (a French word meaning a cooked mixture of fat and flour).  At this point, I add a little butter (for more rich flavor).  Make sure to scrape the bits off the bottom of the pan and stir into the mixture. Stir until the flour starts to brown (a minute or so).



Slowly whisk in 2 cups milk.  Add a little more salt and a lot more black pepper.  Cook and whisk over medium heat until it starts bubbling, reduce heat and cook until it thickens.



This is probably what a normal plate of food should look like.



But...at my place setting is a gravy boat waiting....


Recipe for Pan Gravy:

pan drippings (left from cooked meat)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp. butter
2 cups milk
salt and pepper (to your liking)

Over medium heat, stir together pan drippings, flour and butter, scrapping bottom of the skillet to get all the bits loosened up.

Slowly stir in the milk, salt and pepper.  Cook and whisk over medium heat until it starts bubbling, then reduce the heat and simmer to thicken, about 5 minutes. 

I hope it will be love at first bite for you ;-)







9 comments:

  1. We just finished a good roasted chicken meal, and I should of made gravy but didn't! I was lazy tonight, yes I was. My hubs would of loved this gravy since he is a gravy man. So next time I'll be a good wife and make it for him. I did not know that pork, apples and onions Laura would make for Almonzo. I love finding information like this. So thanks for stopping by and giving me this pit of info. Have a nice night. I not on blogger so I am following you through RSS feed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum...chicken gravy is good also! When I was first married, I made gravy from a packet or just opened a jar. It is my dream vacation to go to DeSmet, South Dakota and Mansfield, Missouri to see the Laura Ingalls Wilder stuff ;-)

      Delete
  2. This looks so so good. I grew up eating gravy and I do miss it. It seems I got into middle eastern cooking and forgot about the wonderful dishes my mother use to prepare. I will try and make this for dinner this week. I hope you are keeping warm and safe during this wintry weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom used to make this too...definitely comfort food. It is snowing as I type this.

      Delete
  3. Pan gravy is a southern thing...My family loves pan gravy. Great photo's Lori.
    Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pan gravy to help keep us warm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband's favorite meal & he was a Hoosier converted to a pan gravy eating southerner, lol :) This is almost the same way I make it except the butter. Next time I make it I will definitely try it out! Really enjoyed this post, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is better with a little butter, right? ;-)

      Delete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...