Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Welcoming Winter Wreath



This time of year, our front porch looks scarce and bleak.  The patio furniture has been moved to the basement, there are no blooming and aromatic flowers tucked away in vintage watering cans and other pretty containers.  The standard decor on the porch for the winter is a stack of fire wood.

To brighten the porch area a little and to help make a warm welcome to approaching guests, I like to hang a home made wreath on the door.  I am loving the look of  a burlap wreath.  To me, burlap exudes cozy, simple, timeless.

I knew that I wanted the same burlap look, but decorated differently for seasons or holidays.  By strategically placing things on the wreath and not using a hot glue gun, I have that freedom to keep decorating the same wreath, and not having to make another one.  What a time and storage space saver ;-)

In November I made a basic burlap wreath.  You can see my easy step by step tutorial here.  I embellished it for Christmas with just a few holiday picks.  Click here to see it all decked out for Christmas.  I just stuck the stems into the burlap and the wreath form, no hot gluing involved.


After Christmas, I found this package topper on clearance.  The blue is such a soft, serene color with a little shimmer, reminding me of a crisp blue sky.  The 'O' is a snow flake with a rhinestone in the middle, and a blue outlining shape.  


I removed the adhesive from the back and hot glued this fastenter on instead.  Now I have the ease of just pinning it in place (and moving it around if I want to).


I purchased a bag of the fasteners at Hobby Lobby.  They also came in handy when I wanted to attach a wooden letter to a wreath that I recently made as a gift.  (Lovely basement wall back drop, huh?)


I really like this simple look, but...


I decided to add a few snowflakes in blue and silver for just a little glitz.  They are picks that I stuck into the burlap and the wreath form for added security...no glue.


 Some may see a wreath with the word snow and snow flakes, but I see, "The snow is beautiful, but welcome, come on in and let's visit for a while".

I have some up-cycling projects in the works that I will be sharing soon!  I would appreciate you following along - Google Friend Connect, subscribe, and follow by e-mail are located on the right side bar...Thank You!

Sharing at:  Wow Us Wednesdays   Wake Up Wednesday   Treasure Hunt Thursday   Home and Garden Thursday   Share Your Cup Thursday   Thursday Favorite Things   Foodie Friday and Everything Else   Feathered Nest Friday   Show and Tell Friday   Farmgirl Friday   The Scoop     Home Sweet Home   Metamorphosis Monday

18 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely wreath you have created. It's a great idea that it can be changed to suit the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful wreath -- and so perfect for this time of year! And you're so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty wreath! I adore "Snow" flakes too, they seem to have a way of stopping time, just so we can admire their beauty! You did a beautiful job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. No two snow flakes are the same, each beautiful in their own way.

      Delete
  4. Love it...and burlaps wreaths are one of my favorites!!...Just love the color combination of the blues and white against the burlap!..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Shirley. Burlap is my new favorite kind of wreath also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how sweet !!! as a winter wreath I've never seen what a great idea !!! they are very creative !!! love greetings from angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie. Our snow has now melted...at least I still have some on the wreath.

      Delete
  7. Your wintertime wreath is just perfect for welcoming guests and so so pretty. I am so not crafty but I'm going to see how you made this pretty wreath. I would love to have one on our door.
    Thanks so much for visiting me and following along...and I am your 19th follower. :) Come back over real soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to make this wreath BJ, check out the tutorial that I have listed on my side bar. Thanks for following along!

      Delete
  8. I am a "wreathaholic" Lori, and love to change up my front door monthly~I am pinning this one to remember, so cute!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine changing your wreath monthly keeps your outside decor fresh and happy looking. What a neat idea.

      Delete
  9. Cute addition to your wreath! I made one of those also and was just thinking I need to give it a little 'love' for Valentines. My front porch is due for a little revamping as well. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually bought a heart wire wreath form to make one for Valentine's day, but haven't had time....

      Delete
  10. Nice wreath! I like the snowflakes with the burlap! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...