I am sooooooooo excited to share this with you!
Home Made Eggnog y'all!
Rich aaaaand thick... this stuff is good!
My Dad and I are the only ones in our family that like eggnog, so I guess that's why I have only been exposed to the stuff you buy in a carton. Now, don't get me wrong, the stuff in the carton is good, but I was curious...
...curious to know what homemade eggnog tasted like. So I looked up some recipes, found ones that were fairly simple to make, tweaked just a tad, and BAM! Homemade egg not is
Our ladies (also known as chickens to some people) have finally started laying eggs again, so I thank them for their part in this recipe.
Although not necessary, I used fresh nutmeg for this and may I just add...it smells amazing!
Home Made Eggnog
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together.
2. In a saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine the milk, cream, and nutmeg. Stirring often, bring the mixture to a simmer. Do not boil.
3. Mix a big spoonful of the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture. Repeat a couple more times to temper the eggs.
4. Once tempered, pour the egg mixture into the the milk mixture that is left in the saucepan.
5. Continually whisk for a few minutes, heating through.
6. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
7. Pour the eggnog into a covered container and refrigerate until chilled. It will thicken as it cools.
8. Serve with a sprinkling of nutmeg on top, if desired.
* Also shared at CommunityChickens.com *