Sunday, July 12, 2015

Wild Blackberries


Let's go into the woods to see how the wild black berries are coming along...



Wild blackberries grow naturally in our woods.  They take care of themselves and produce year after year for our pleasure.  Notice the size of these wild blackberries - much different from the large 'perfectly' shaped cultivated ones that you buy from the grocery store.  


The ones that get more sunlight ripen faster than the ones that are in the thicket of the woods.
During these next few weeks, we will go berry picking at least once a week, picking the ripe black ones as they are available.




When I was a little girl I  remember berry picking at my Grandparents, but I usually ate more than I would have in my container.  Now I understand the importance of saving them to make a delicious cobbler!

Sharing at these awesome blog hops:

7 comments:

  1. What fun memories berry picking bring back, LL! When I was younger, we'd go camping up to N. CA, almost to the Oregon border, and my dad would stop by the side of the road and let us go berry picking! We were supposed to save them too for my mom, but ended up eating more than we saved! They do make the perfect summer time treat! ~CB

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love any kind of berries...just about to make some raspberry jam. We have plenty of woods around us but never thought of that being a source for berries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fun post! I love to go "blackberry hunting". My little one and I have spent hours this year gathering behind my mom's house. She's like you were when you were little, though - she's got an empty bucket at the end of the hunt. haha! I would so love for you to share this (and any other fun posts you may have) at this week's Tips & Tricks linky party on my blog. It went live last night....

    Have a fun week!
    -Heather
    www.stringtownhome.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I have those same memories! Thanks for joining the #OMHGWW linkup this week!

    Shellie
    www.thefabjourney.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh this takes me back to my youth when my parents had a lake house and we'd collect blackberries from the bushes alongside the road. What good times these were. Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandparents used to have tons of raspberry and blackberry bushes. I used to LOVE going out there and eating them straight from the bushes.
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...