Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Nostalgia Baking



Nostalgia:  a desire to return in thought to a former time.   
 A sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time.

The other day I wanted to do some nostalgia baking.
I wanted to create something basic.
Using ingredients that I already had in the pantry.
Baking like our Grandmothers and Great Grandmothers (and many before them) did.

I also wanted to use some utensils that were nostalgic.


I purchased this sifter at a yard sale years ago.
I envision a homemaker sifting flour to make homemade breads and sweets for her family.
Can you see her wiping her hands on her handmade apron?
She smiles as she bakes, thankful for her pantry that is stocked with basic ingredients.
Ingredients that she can make delicious and satisfying meals for her family.


This measuring spoon is from a set that my girls gave me one year for a Mother's day gift.
It brings back memories of a visit to Amish Country.
We were at a little shop when I spotted these measuring spoons.
I admired them because they have little roosters on them - something I collect.
I love to use these...they are nostalgic to me.


The recipe I chose to make was something I call
Cinnamon Pantry Bars

Ingredients
2/3 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 egg yolks (save the whites, you will use them also)
4 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon

For the topping
2 egg whites
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Beat shortening and sugar until smooth.
Add egg yolks, milk, and vanilla.  Beat together.
Sift together the flour, salt and cinnamon.
Add the flour mixture to shortening/sugar mixture.  Beat well.
Spread batter into a buttered 9x13 baking dish.
Beat egg whites and brush on top of batter.
Mix sugar and cinnamon together.  Sprinkle on top of egg whites.
Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
After cooling a bit, cut into squares.





24 comments:

  1. Lori Leigh - Wow! These look delicious. I bet they have a similar flavor to a snicker doodle, but I love the idea of pantry bars. This idea of nostalgia baking is wonderful. Don't our grandmothers and great grandmothers have the best stories involving food and the kitchen? Imagine if there was Pinterest and Twitter in their days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, They do taste similar to a snickerdoodle. Back 'in the day' Grandmas did what they had to do, with what they had, and usually with a story and a smile... Thanks for visiting.
      Lori

      Delete
  2. Lori,
    I love the nostalgia! Makes me yearn for things past. This recipe sounds so comforting. I love cinnamon in just about anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! They were quite tasty...didn't last long ;-) I am a big cinnamon fan also.
      Lori

      Delete
  3. I smiled when I saw your link on From My Front Porch to Yours. Just yesterday, my daughter and I made homemade brownies. She had a craving and I had no box mix -- but I do have lots of cookbooks! They were really delish -- far better than the box mix kind! Your recipe sounds wonderful -- I'm going to pin it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen! Sounds like you and your daughter made nostalgic brownies and memories ;-).
      Lori

      Delete
  4. These bars look so yummy. But I enjoyed the dirty as well. It's great to have such wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dirty?? I am going to assume auto correct, and go with story ;-). Thanks Pat, it was a simple and delicious treat.
      Lori

      Delete
  5. The bars look so good, and I love cinnamon! My nostalgia baking includes my Mom's recipes. She gone near 18 years, but when I make them I feel closer once again I love your story and it's a great idea. I always pick up vintage kitchen items whenever I see them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful it must feel to make your Mom's recipes! Those type of memories are the best.
      Lori

      Delete
  6. These look yummy on this cold, snowy day.

    Coming over from Farmgirl Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandi, Thanks for coming over. These treats did not last long ;-)
      Lori

      Delete
  7. I can understand why you feel nostalgic. Those are some beautiful tools to create with in the kitchen. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't help but wonder what vintage items have seen...what they would say if they could talk... And of course the measuring spoons from my girls...the memories they bring to mind.
      Lori

      Delete
  8. What a sweet post! Pun intended. I have a sifter like yours that is currently filled with a flower arrangement. Makes me want to empty it and try it out. I have vintage all around me in my home. It doesn't always occur to me that I could use it. Going to try your recipe today. It's a freezing cold, blustery, snowy day. Perfect for baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the pun ;-) I bet flowers in a sifter are pretty...never thought of that...hhmmm. I hope you enjoy these bars!
      Lori

      Delete
  9. That is my favorite kind of baking! Thank you for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun day! I love your vintage style baking goodies :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, yum! Those bars look delicious! Thanks for sharing at Idea Box, hope to see you back in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for linking up at Idea Box. Come back next week!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...