Friday, August 28, 2015

Green Beans (To Can or Freeze)


It is amazing to watch green beans grow from a simple little seed that was planted in the Spring.

The green leaves...





The white buds...


The beans.

When I was a little girl, my Mom canned lots of green beans.

As an adult, I have canned green beans once.

To be completely honest with you, to can with a pressure canner  is intimidating to me.

For that reason, and for convenience, I have been freezing green beans for the last two years.
(That's why I don't have a picture of my canned green beans to share with you.)

The taste of the two are very different, so it comes down to personal preference.

Since I have been sharing my canning recipes using the boiling water canner method, I thought it appropriate to end the week with a pressure canner recipe.

How to can green beans (quart size jars)
Snap ends off green beans and snap into desired lengths
Rinse beans thoroughly
Put beans in a pot of boiling water (enough to cover beans) and boil for 5 minutes
Pack hot beans into hot jars, leaving 1 inch headspace
Add 1 teaspoon salt to each quart jar
Ladle boiling water over beans
Remove air bubbles
Wipe rim, add lid and adjust the ring
Process in a pressure canner at 10 pounds pressure for 25 minutes
Remove the jars from the pressure canner and allow jars to cool before storing

What is your preferred method for storing green beans?
Canned or Frozen

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

And now for the give away that I have been promising all week...

Ball (Fresh Preserving) is giving away a free case of mason jars.

Whether you are new to canning or you are a seasoned canner, you can never have too many jars, right? ;-)

To be entered to win, simply leave a comment.
Contest is open through September 4, 2015.


Sharing with:



5 comments:

  1. I'm downright scared to even try pressure canning, after my sister had one explode on her. I know they make them now that are safer, but that has always stuck in my mind. Maybe some day.

    Thanks for the chance to obtain some mason jars. They are useful for so many things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mother always froze beans. and corn off the cob. and apple slices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the home canned green beans. I love that you shared the recipe! I generally only use the canner for canning green beans and mustard greens. It really comes in handy if only for those two recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember my mother pressure cooking! I'm with Daisy G, I'm afraid to have it explode on me! I really enjoy frozen green beans, which is to say I haven't had home canned green beans in a very long time! Time to try something new! Happy Weekend, LL! ~CB

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do can with my pressure canner, but I actually prefer to freeze my green beans. They retain more of that crispness. Your beans look beautiful!

    Stopping by from the Homestead Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...