Thursday, October 8, 2015

Polenta (Quick, Easy, and Cheesy)


Have you tried polenta?

I was intimidated at first...

        it takes a long time to make...

                    the water has to be just the right temperature...

                                 you can only use a wooden spoon...

                                                it's a fancy dish...


Reality is that polenta is simply cornmeal made into a thick, delicious yumminess with just a few flavorful ingredients added.

I suppose it can be fancy...anything can be with the right presentation, right?


I like to serve is as a side dish and maybe...
I have been known to eat it alone for lunch (it's that stand alone delicious).
           

Here's my recipe for Quick and Easy Cheesy Polenta:

2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup shredded cheese

Bring chicken broth and milk to a boil.
Whisk in cornmeal.
Reduce heat.
Cook until it thickens (just a few minutes).
If it becomes to thick and hard to whisk, add a little more milk.
Add butter.
Add cheese (Use your favorite - some that I have used are monterey jack, cheddar, and parmesan).
Stir until combined.
Serve warm.


Here's to a quick, easy, cheesy side dish!

6 comments:

  1. I love polenta! I actually made some yesterday and use it as a pasta substitute. My mom used to make it when we were kids much as you describe. Girl, you gotta try doin' it in the crockpot. It's so easy!
    I'll be having leftovers tonight. Yum-yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daisy,
      You'll have to tell me how to do it in the crock pot! Love the idea of using it as a pasta substitute. Have a fantastic weekend.
      ~Lori

      Delete
  2. This sounds and looks like such a comfort food. I wonder if it's good for breakfast?

    Thank you for the recipe.

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm half Italian, so I'm familiar with polenta. It is eaten for breakfast, either soft like Lori shows here or sliced and pan-fried and served with honey or syrup and butter. When you refrigerate polenta in a rectangular dish or loaf pan, it will set up so that it can be sliced. Hope you enjoy some soon. ;0)

      Delete
    2. Kimberly,
      I do use cornmeal to make a breakfast food called mush. It is sooooo delicious. I will do a post on it soon, but basically it is cornmeal and water. Have a wonderful weekend!
      ~Lori

      Delete
  3. Hi LL, Your polenta looks so creamy and yummy! I prefer polenta to grits, and your recipe would be perfect on a cold fall/winter's day! Pinned! I really want to make this! ~CB

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Thank you for taking the time to leave one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...